Sunday, June 7, 2009

Spicy Chicken and Chickpea Stew Over Couscous

So I don't have any cute pictures of the baby to post, or any pictures of yummy food to share with you. I have been making a new recipe every day but keep forgetting to take pictures. There was only one that was really noteworthy anyway.

Spicy Chicken and Chickpea Stew Over Couscous.

Pretty yummy. Kevin was impressed. Best reaction out of him to any of the new things I've been making, and I've been making a lot, so it must be good.

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken drumsticks
3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 onion thinly sliced
1 turnip peeled and cubed
2 tbsp tomato paste
(I didn't have tomato past so I actually used some cocktail sauce I had laying around)
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
4 cups chicken stock
3 carrots pealed and cut
1 15 ounce can of chickpeas
1/2 cup parsley chopped
Couscous
(However much you want, you poor the soup over it so its good to have a lot. I used two boxes of Near East flavored couscous. I think Parmesan was one and some pine nut one was the other. I just mixed the two. Yum. It wasn't quite enough though. You could do three boxes.)

In a big deep pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Cover chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
Brown chicken well. 10 minutes. Turning half way through.
Remove chicken. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the onion and turnip and cook until onions are translucent. Add tomato paste, spices, and 2 1/4 tsp salt.
Cook for another minute. Add the 4 cups of chicken stock, the carrots, and the chicken. Bring to a simmer.
Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and the parsley and simmer another 5 minutes, or until chicken is done.

Meanwhile make your couscous as per the instructions. I usually replace water with chicken stock whenever I can and this is a great time to do it. Rice, couscous, anything that is going to suck up moisture will also suck up flavor so why use something flavorless like water when you can use stock.

Serve the stew ladled over the couscous.

Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment