Saturday, May 16, 2009

Blueberry Banana Bread Hmm...

I made this recipe I found for banana muffins a few days ago and I had so much other stuff going on that I completely forgot to put in the butter. I also added 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar that was not called for, and guess what...They were awesome!!!!! They have strudel on the top which is probably why. Anything with strudel is good usually. I also added fresh strawberries from my garden. They were really yummy. Today I am making them as a loaf instead of muffins. I am leaving out the butter again and changing the sugar to half cup brown half cup white because I think the extra brown sugar was good but maybe a bit too much, they were kinda sticky. I am also adding 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries.

OK. Lets discuss the outcome. There is a ravine running through the middle of my bread. It seems that all the berries dropped to the bottom creating a very soggy messy blueberry puddle, and the whole loaf is structurally unsound. Flavor wise the bread is good. Like I said, strudel, but the blueberries really don't add much. The strawberries were much better. I did cut it while it was still hot so maybe...ultimately though the strawberry muffins were much better. Maybe the batter just cant stand up as a whole loaf of bread, only in muffin cups. Wont be using blueberries again. Wont be using a loaf pan again. Will be using strudel and brown sugar though even though it makes it sticky.

Ingredients
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Strudel
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    (I forgot the cinnamon this time OOPS well see what its like)
  • 2 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven 375 F



In a large bowl mash up 3 very ripe bananas with your mixer


Add 1/2 cup white sugar


Add 1/2 cup brown sugar


Add 1 egg


Beat until combined


Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix until combined

Add 1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.

In a food processor if you have one, (if you don't just use your hands or a spoon but try not to overwork and melt the butter) add 2/3 cup brown sugar, 4 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tbsp butter. Process until butter mixes into sugar and flour evenly.
Sprinkle over loaf and bake in oven at 375 F for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment