Monday, April 20, 2009

Blueberry Lime Cornmeal Scones


These scones have the potential to be very good, well they are very good but the recipe told me to greese the cookie sheet and also to cook on 450 F and that resulted in burned bottoms. This recipe calls for lime zest and the lime flavor in the scones is really nice with the blueberries but I don't think there was enough of it. I also don't think there were enough blueberries. I am going to write this recipe for you the way I think it ought to be.

1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
3 tbsp white sugar
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter chopped up
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
zest of 2 limes
1 1/2 frozen blueberries
1 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 400 F


Combine 1 1/3 cup flour, 2/3 cup cornmeal

Add 3 tbsp white sugar


3 tbsp brown sugar


1 1/2 tsp baking powder


1/4 tsp baking soda

cut in 1/3 cup cold butter until flour mixture resembles course crumbs


Zest 2 limes


Combine the zest of 2 limes, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and 1 egg


Make a well in dry mixture, and add the buttermilk mixture all at once.
Stir with a fork until just moistened. Don't over mix.


Toss frozen blueberries with cornstarch, and then add to flour mixture.
Drop dough on floured (not greased) sheet pan in 12 mounds 1 inch apart


Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden on top.


The recipe I used also called for a a drizzle made with powdered sugar mixed with lime juice. I did not do this because it just adds more calories, and I have never had a good outcome when making icing with just powdered sugar and a moistening agent. It always tastes icky. I used some honey instead. It was pretty but the honey got all over me every time I ate one. Its really not necessary they are good plain. The recipe also called for sliced almonds sprinkled over the top but again, more calories.

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this but I'm all out of cornmeal and I don't have any limes or blueberries! Always something! (I want a zester)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a zester. I just use the small thing on my cheese grater but it doesn't work very well.

    ReplyDelete