Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eggs Benedict Skillet, An Epiphany!


So I have been dreaming about and planning this recipe for a few weeks now. It all started when we got our new cast iron dutch oven. If you don't yet have one your missing a great piece of kitchen equipment and you should run out and buy one right away. I love mine even though it weighs about a gazillion lbs. I got it for a freaking steal, $29.99 at Homegoods. Yipee!!!!
Moving on... Kevin wanted to find camping recipes for the dutch oven and he ended up finding one for this delicious breakfast skillet thing with hash browns, bacon, eggs, jalapeños, cheese, and salsa. (I will blog it soon.) That dish got me thinking about what other things we could make in the dutch oven and for some reason Eggs Benedict popped into my head. This is what I came up with. It's a real winner, although I actually made it in a skillet not the dutch oven. Toasted English muffins soaked in egg (like you would for French toast), cubed ham (I could not find Canadian bacon), and a easy no fuss Hollandaise sauce I found that you make in the microwave. This is the easiest way to make Eggs Benedict you will ever find. You could feed and impress a large group, without having to poach a thousand eggs.
Now my original idea was to also have a layer of home fried potatoes on the bottom of this dish since thats usually what you get with Eggs Benedict, but I totally forgot this morning when I was making this. I was going to saute them up with some onion and garlic and then add the diced ham. Next time I make this I'm gonna add the tatters for sure so I'll let ya know.

P.S. This recipe makes about twice as much Hollandaise sauce as you need.

What you will need


7 large eggs
3 English muffins
1 1/2 -2 of diced ham or Canadian bacon
1 Lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Melt one stick of butter in medium bowl.

Crack and seperate 4 eggs adding the yolks to the butter while reserving the 4 whites in a large bowl.

Whisk the butter and egg yolk mixture until well blended.

Add 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and the juice of 1 whole lemon or 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and mix well.

Microwave mixture, uncovered, on high, until just slightly thick,
about 1 to 2 minutes, stopping every 20 seconds to stir with a
fork or whisk.

It may take a little longer than this, but sauce will thicken up.

Remove sauce from microwave and stir in mustard.

Once the sauce is done you can leave it in the microwave until skillet is done to keep it warm.

If it is cold when you are ready to use it heat for 20 more seconds.

Split and toast 3 English muffins.

Once toasted, cut each half into quarters.

Whisk the three remaining eggs into the reserved whites and soak the toasted English muffins in the egg for about 2-3 minutes.


In a cast iron skillet saute 1 1/2 cups of ham until slightly colored and hot, 2-3 minutes.

(here is where I would change things for next time. I am going to saute onions and garlic in some olive oil, add already parboiled frozen diced potatoes and saute until golden brown, add the ham, and continue)



Pour the egg and English muffin/egg mixture over the ham in the skillet.

Spread everything out so that you have bread and meat in every bite.

Cover and heat in oven at 450 F for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.

Heat for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and egg has set.



Top with as much Hollandaise sauce as you like.
(I only ended up using about half of what I made)

Sprinkle with paprika, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment